Friday, December 4, 2009

Fallout 3: My Life as a Tutorial

I'm still going through the training parts of Fallout 3, but I've got some early thoughts:

  • Hey, Liam Neeson's my dad! And, um, his wife dies giving birth to me. Hmm... I didn't realize the uncomfortable (and completely unforeseeable) real-life parallel there until just now.
  • Woah, that's some intense customization they let you do with your look. Favorite part: the half-million interestingly-titled facial hair options.
  • The whole concept of teaching you how to play the game via flashes of your life from birth to adulthood is a pretty cool idea. What's not cool? Turret controls. Walking around like I'm driving a tank is something I've never been able to quite get the hang of. Can't we just assume that I want to face in the direction I'm moving unless I say otherwise? At least I can invert the up/down part...
  • I'm also really digging the little kids' book that introduces your stats.
  • My "G.O.A.T." (S.E.?) exam says that I have a future as the Vault's chaplain, which apparently makes me good with bartering, medicine and lock picking. Okay...
  • Ooh, exciting things are happening, and it looks like I'm about to put those lock picking skills to good use!
To be continued...


1 comment:

Rosirah said...

Nooooo goatse ref!! Your brain is already melting! But it sounds like fun melting, so yay PS3!