Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Running Season Is Back!

Wow, it's a beautiful day outside.  It felt great to not have my nose streaming like a faucet this morning when I biked into work.  Tonight I'm planning on doing a long run down through Prospect Park to take advantage of the warm weather and newly-extended daylight.

I'm running in the NYC Half Marathon on Sunday.  Come out and watch me then if you can!  My bib number's going to be 5387.  I'm not expecting to hit a new personal best in the race, and a lot of that has to do with what a miserable winter it's been.  Part of that was the temperature (I'll brave the 20's, but I can't make myself get out there for love or money when it drops into the teens), but part of it was just the constant presence of snow---and worse yet, ice---on the sidewalks.

There were also some personal reasons.  On New Year's Eve I went out for a run and fell flat on my face.  It was the first time it had happened in at least three or four years.  I was shaken, but not too badly hurt.  Then two weeks later I fell AGAIN, and that time things got a little more serious.  I didn't need any stitches, thank god, but I had enough serious cuts and scrapes to put me out of commission for about a week.  Also, about a month ago I came down with a cold, which isn't something that happens to me very often.

I'm starting to wonder whether I'm on the verge of passing my peak as a runner.  Sure, the pavement was torn to shit both the times I tripped, and the second incident was at night on a dimly-lit street, but eventually I'll have to face the fact that I can't keep improving forever, and someday I'll have to be content to just post a good time "for my age."

That's not to say I'm going to throw in the towel though.  Hell no.  I've got a running class that I'm taking with NYRR starting up next week on Tuesday nights, and they've done a great job of pushing me to new heights in the past.  Spring is coming too, which should make getting out on the road a lot easier (give or take a little pouring rain or a freakish cold snap like this coming Thursday).  I just started breaking in a new pair of running shoes last night.  The world is full of possibilities.

No comments: